Well all, it's time for my annual job hunt. The grant I'm funded by being terminated at the end of January, which means I (and my paychecks) must go.
But don't worry, loyal readers. I'm pretty pumped to find something new. So far, I already have 2 jobs I've applied for. I'm interviewing for the first next week and there's word that I'm going to be contacted about the second. (see below for job types*)
So I need to start thinking about priorities, since I hope to land a job that I'll be in for more than 9 months (I'm in my 30's. That's what we do).
I've made a list of must-haves and can't-stands. Some of you out there will find these categories amusing for reasons beyond my analness. Here's what I have so far:
MUST-HAVES:
- a reaction of excitement when talking about the work
- a boss that understands work/life balance
- reasonable compensation and benefits
and if I must move....
- location such that I can maintain my enrollment at my ballet studio
- proximity (living or working) to my doctors' offices - I'm so tired of switching
- friends within reasonable travel distances
CAN'T STANDS:
- bosses who qualify as "crazymakers"
- excessive amount of redundant tasks
- a work place where I cannot listen to music
- being underutilized and under-challenged
The list will be developing over time.
What would go on your list?
* current jobs of interest: 1. data manager/analyst for a pediatric AIDS research group
2. epidemiologist with a psychiatric/substance abuse healthcare project
Thursday, December 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I think job #2 sounds more interesting than job #1, but both sound like they could be awesome!
Your must haves/can't stands (gee, where have I heard that phrasing before... :) ) are spot-on, particularly for you but also in general. I would add as a 'must have' some sort of at least intermittent social interaction, because I go crazy when I'm alone too long. Plus flexible hours - I think the 8-hour, scheduled day is just silly for many positions (but totally logical for others).
As a tangent, but still work-related, I have to share (as part of my ongoing ephemeral blog) that I got the best compliment a poli sci prof can get today. One of my students, an avowed Republican, stayed after today to tell me how much he appreciated that I kept the class impartial. I've been trying very hard to do that (and extra hard today, which was foreign policy - you should try arguing for the Bush Doctrine!), and it was awesome to have it on record from someone who doesn't agree with me that I'm being successful at it! He said that it was a refreshing change from his other courses - and that he'd been particularly concerned about it since it was an American politics class, but that I've been balanced throughout. Hooray! I almost got teary, I must admit...
Spice, that's great! You kick ass, man.
Now, see, I think Job #1 sounds more interesting than Job #2. I saw "pediatric aids" and I got all interested.
This is an important question for me these days, too, so let's see. My must-have list also includes flexible hours. Writing, preferably funny writing. A location where I know people. Social contact, absolutely. Deadlines.
I'll give a half-vote to each job to even out the score. For future jobs, though, I bet epidemiologist would look better on your resume than data manager.
Little did Spice's conservative student know that she has been covertly converting him! Won't he be surprised when he votes for Hillary Clinton in 2008!
Yo, that rocks J. Po., AND Spice! So much radness going down!
Crazymakers can go eff themselves.
Jobs for all!
I'm on the job market myself, but given the field, my must-haves include "the job." And my would like-to-haves-include "not living in Alaska."
Good luck, though, Nancy-Drew-person I have never actually met!
You have met Ms. Drew, Mr. Ole. She attended a Minnesota feast at your apartment sometime in 2002, methinks.
Oh. Oops. I hadn't connected the event with the blogger in my mind. Huh.
Post a Comment