I've been letting this whole Sarah Palin thing simmer in the back of my mind for a couple of days, trying to figure out what I really think of it. Last night, after giving Jigs more than an ear-full, I figured it out. I am deeply offended.
That may seem weird, seeing as how I've been a staunch Obama supporter from the beginning. It shouldn't really matter much, right? And the fact that she's so dreadfully inexperienced should make things look better for my team, right?
Well the fact is, in addition to being an Obama supporter, I'm a feminist. And I'm shaken to my feminist core with the choice of Palin. With her acceptance speech - pandering to the Clinton supporters with hopes of winning them over to her side - the ticket seems to be making the assumption that woman who make up Clinton's base (women's-rights-era feminists, as far as I can tell) cannot see through the bullshit. Palin is a pro-life creationist. COME ON!!! Give me a m-f'in break!!
And why, John McCain, did you select a woman who is so extremely NOT READY for the job when there are plenty of other woman in the Republican party who have the experience to do the job well? This just seems like affirmative action gone all wrong to me. Just so ridiculous it's laughable.
Is anyone else out there also offended? Chatter, please....
(As a side note, Ma and Pa Jigs are from Wasilla, which finally scored a star on the map. A town of pop. 7000. Blink and you miss it. Seriously. I've been there. Twice.)
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh, hell yeah - it's such a transparent capital-P Pander that I can't believe more women haven't called bullshit already.
Have you heard the rumors about Trig (the baby Palin)? He may belong to the 16 year-old daughter!
Totally offensive...and incredibly stupid strategically.
Any thoughts from the Jiggity parenti about her reign in Wasilla?
Also, if you want to read my nonpartisan analysis, they're at: wmelection08.wordpress.com
Still haven't gotten the students to post, but hopefully someone will be brave enough soon!
Oops - "it's at." Sorry.
I would have to agree with almost every point you made, except one. Seriously, a town of pop. 7000 is not one where you blink and miss it. That town is frickin' huge! (O.k., not necessarily huge, but darn big.) I live in a town of pop. 150. And there are some towns just 15 to 30 miles away that have just 4 "normal" sized families. Those I consider "blink and you miss it" towns. 7000 is just plain big.
Post a Comment