O come, O come, Emmanuel
O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Refrain
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
Who orderest all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
And teach us in her ways to go.
Refrain
O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory over the grave.
Refrain
O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.
Refrain
O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
Refrain
O come, O come, great Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times once gave the law
In cloud and majesty and awe.
Refrain
O come, Thou Root of Jesse’s tree,
An ensign of Thy people be;
Before Thee rulers silent fall;
All peoples on Thy mercy call.
Refrain
O come, Desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind;
Bid Thou our sad divisions cease,
And be Thyself our King of Peace.
Refrain
6 comments:
I had to look up the actual title, but one of my top carols has to be Carol of the Bells. Until just a few minutes ago, I thought the words were always something along the lines of:
Sweet silver bells!
Your silver bells!
My silver bells!
Christmas is here!
I was very very wrong, except the "Christmas is here" line. It's more like:
Hark silver bells
Sweet silver bells
All seem to say
throw cares away
Gaily they ring
While people sing
Songs of good cheer
X-mas is here.
I also love Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite and Wierd Al's "The Night Santa Went Crazy"
Truth be told, holiday music drives me nuts. Does that make me a bad person?
ShanShan, nothing could make you a bad person.
And Jigs, thanks for finally looking up the lyrics. I like your (our) version better.
My favorite is the Wexford Carol. You can't get the beautiful tune from this, but here's the first verse:
Good people all, this Christmastime
Consider well and bear in mind
What our good God for us has done
In sending his beloved son.
With Mary holy we should pray,
To God with love this Christmas day.
On Bethlehem upon that morn
There was a blessed Messiah born.
It's the one I sing every year for my audition for the Christmas show, and it's worked so far! My 2nd favorite is Once in Royal David's City, and I love O Come O Come Emmanuel, too. I sang Carol of the Bells in a Christmas service at church once, and you know what? That thing has a lot of words.
Definitely the Charlie Brown album is my fave.
I love "We 3 Kings" especially when the harmonics change from a kind-of minor key verse to the glorious chorus: star of wonder, star of might, you know....
Plus it's cool to imagine how bright stars must have been in Bethlehem and everywhere pre-light pollution.
Post a Comment