Thursday, December 13, 2007

I'll Go with Italian, Thank You Very Much

For the first time ever (?), I threw up in a public place on Wednesday. Let me tell you, it was not a fun experience. But I succeeded in doing it very discretely and I don't think anyone noticed. Thank god for the plastic bag I had tucked away in my handbag. Jigs gets a shout out for recommending I take it with me after vomiting on Tuesday night (that time, in our bathroom).

I think I had food poisoning. We ate out at a Mexican restaurant Tuesday night before going to a Sharks hockey game (vs. the MN Wild...the Sharks kicked some serious bottom). I've had a vomiting experience two times after eating at said restaurant, though the first time relates to taquilia, to which I think I have some strange sensitivity. I vomited one other time after eating at a different Mexican restaurant, so I think I'm done with Mexican. Moving on to other ethnicities...

Anyway, after 2 days of fever, chills, and various digestive track-related symptoms (I'll let your imaginations run wild), I'm feeling better. And a little woozy, to be honest. I've eaten a total of one sleeve of saltines, 3 bananas, two cups of jello, and a handful of cereal in the past 48 hours.

Gain 5 pounds during the holiday season? Not me! I'm on the Staphylococcus aureus diet!

5 comments:

towwas said...

Yikes! That sounds awful, Po. My illness has been of the respiratory-discomfort-and-tiredness variety - much more pleasant.

J-Vo said...

Feel better! Remember the BRAT diet:
bananas
rice
applesauce
toast

Works like a dream.

Annie said...

oooh I'm sorry it was so awful. I wonder if you are allergic to something in Mexican food? I am allergic to a lot of mole sauces, mostly because americans like to sneak peanut butter into mole sauce without telling anyone... (I think it is traditionally made with other kinds of nuts)

Anonymous said...

JPo - Sorry to hear you are feeling ill, friend. You are in good company with the public vomiting - lil welle has a story involving a norwalk virus and a BART trash can. I have heard that s. aureus food poisoning causes very dramatic projectile vomiting. Never experienced it myself, but I have heard it is quite remarkable. I did, however, catch rotavirus gastroenteritis on my Peds rotation. Fun times.

Lots of fluids and handwashing (just in case it isn't food poisoning) and I hope you feel better!
Shan

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is the form your racism is choosing to take.