Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Cultural Diplomacy

How amazing is it the the New York Philharmonic went to North Korea? I watched the concert on PBS yesterday and it was absolutely wonderful. They picked a selection of music that represented the Philharmonic in an amazing way - including a performance of the Dvorak's New World Symphony, which was commissioned by the Phil. in the late 1800's. I've played the piece a few times and LOVE it because the cello section gets an unusually large amount of action. I miss playing in orchestras. I still regret choosing swimming over more cello time in college. Alas. At least I stayed in shape (with many early morning awakenings as a sacrifice).

Anyhoo, you can hear the entire concert here.

In this audio-only version, you'll miss out on the strange reaction of the audience (a sea of stone-faced folks making me think they were completely unmoved by this emotionally intense music...but it's probably a cultural thing), but that's okay cause it's a bit distracting.

3 comments:

grrrbear said...

Don't cellists always get "lots of action"? They always got the mad hot chicks in my orchestra growing up!

Oh yeah...I went there...

Annie said...

Yeah cellists should get tons of action, especially at Summer Action Camp, a.k.a. Tanglewood/Interlochen...

looking forward to hearing the performance, thanks for the tip!

J.Po said...

You people! Where do you get these filthy ideas?

BTW, one of the reasons I love the New World is the use of English horn, which happens to be my FAVORITE instrument. Copeland used it well also. The best part of sitting in an orchestra playing this piece was getting to hear the English horn solo over and over. That, and all the great cello action.