Okay, so this Sarah Palin thing has really been bugging the crap out of me during the past couple of weeks (i.e. - since I learned who the hell she is). She has pretty much dominated every conversation I've had and has been the cause of some pretty rough nights of sleep. On a scale of "shootin' my AK-47 in excitement" to "anxiously rocking in the corner of my room" (thanks, Spice, for that quote), I'm bumping up to the "rocking" end of the spectrum.
Things were getting so bad that I decided to take some action by putting my money where my mouth is. I attended an Obama campaign orientation meeting on Saturday. Which was good - for me and, from what I could tell, for everyone else in the room. Two weeks ago, they had about n=17 people attend a similar event. On Saturday, the campaign office was stuffed to the gills - mostly with women in their 50s-60s. The "Palin Effect"? I think so! That's why I was there.
I'm planning on traveling to a swing state - Ohio (if they need me - they'll get my plane flight money if they have enough people on the ground) or Nevada (where all of CA volunteers have been routed).
Anyway, deciding to do something about it caused my edgy anxiety to drain from my system, leaving me in a pool of exhaustion - as though I'd been thround 2 weeks of intense final exams. So I took a nap on the couch and dreamt.........
.....that Palin announced she was leaving the ticket because the press had been too hard on her family and McCain replaced her with (the now deceased) Stephanie Tubbs Jones! And I thought to myself (remember, this is my dream-mind): "OMG! Now they're pandering to not only women, but African-Americans AND Democrats! What is the world coming to?!?!?!"
Thankfully, I've had really wonderful nights of sleep since I decided to get involved. I still read liberal blogs like they're crack to fuel my anger so that I stick to my guns (not literally...remember, I'm a liberal...I'll be sticking to my latte) and pound the pavement.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm so proud of you. If you're not exhausted while you're out there, can I make a suggestion? You should take a camera and post daily diaries on Daily Kos about what you're doing, who you're talking to, what they're saying, etc. It'd be hit - I gaar-onnn-teee it. Plus, you'd not only be helping on the ground in Ohio, but inspiring other folks to action. Double your investment!
looks like I'm not alone....
http://www.slate.com/id/2200015/
So here's a rhetorical question. If the progressive left is suddenly so organized because we all can't stand Palin so much, does that mean our hate has made us powerful? And if so, have we then, by definition, turned to the dark side?
Discuss...
Post a Comment