Every hour or so I'm reminded of what a terrible terrible thing the Catholic Church can be. Never mind issues around birth control and the patriarchal hierarchy. What really gets me is the GUILT response imbedded in my brain after years of reprogramming.
Take my situation this morning. I got to work cold and wet after a dash in the rain sans umbrell. I was looking forward to one thing - a coffee to warm my chilly bones. Lucky for me, there's a *bucks next door. I usually bring my own mug, mostly to soothe my guilt around unnecessary waste with the side benefit of 10 cents off each purchase (whatever). Every other time I've gone to *bucks with my own mug for a coffee fill-up I've been charged $1.35. So I brought with me a total sum of $1.50. This time, it rang up $1.55 because, apparently, my mug is deceivingly large - the size of a grande instead of a tall. (Here I need to state my frustration with *bucks using their own sizing system. What's wrong with the old standard 'small, medium, large'???). I said I only had $1.50 with me because I was charged $1.35 last time. The cashier told me that was fine and accepted what I had to offer. Despite (1) having been charged less every other time and (2) receiving confirmation that my under-payment was acceptable, I still feel GUILTY!
WHY?!?!?!?
Monday, February 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Send me a pastry for absolution...
Put an extra 15 cents in the tip jar next time and you'll feel much better.
Post a Comment