Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Curse

Big news. I have officially passed my "every two years I get robbed" anniversary - without a new theft event. (Note: I'm not counting the theft of my bicycle wheel in May '05, mostly because they tried for the entire bike without success).

Prior events:

- In October 2002, my wallet was stolen out of my coat pocket while I was at the SF public library. The coat was hanging on the back of a chair I was sitting in during the robbery. Sneaky pick-pocketting bastard!

- In July 2004, Sophist and I were mugged at knifepoint at 5:00pm in a "safe" neighborhood in Berkeley. My wallet was stolen, along with my camera, phone, journal .... and my sense of safety and trust. Sucky.

- In October 2004, my backpack was swiped from my (usually locked) office in Berkeley. How the hell they got into that office, I do not know. My wallet was stolen **again**, along with several items of clothing, my journal, my datebook, etc. etc.

Given this string of robberies, I was sortof expecting to have an October 2006 theft - with another trip to the f'ing DMV. But no. Nada. Not a cent of thievery in over 2 years. Huh. Has it ended?

3 comments:

Annie said...

Be careful Po! I don't want you to get robbed again!

towwas said...

Well, geez - I was there in October. If you'd told me, I totally could've stolen your wallet for you.

Stacey Pelika said...

The upside of getting robbed again would be a chance to get to retake that CA ID photo where you look like you want to kill someone! Probably not enough of an upside to warrant getting robbed, though...