Thursday, April 26, 2007

Shop -or- Industrial Arts, as it was known in Ohio

Grrbear's recent post mentioning shop class got me thinking about my own experiences in industrial arts circa 1988. Here's what I recall making:

- a football made of melted (then solidified) styrofoam-like material, painted in the school colors (go Braves!)

- A nightlight with all of the electronics immersed in a clear plastic blob. It actually worked. And probably still does.

- A wooden cutout of a Scotty dog, painted white with a blue ribbon around its neck (because most Scotty dogs are white)

- A 6 inch-by-6 inch mirror with the phrase "Jo's Room" acid-etched into the surface.

I was better at Home Economics.

Howse about your projects?

4 comments:

Stacey Pelika said...

I went for quantity (b/c we got more points the more stuff we made) and ended up with:

-A metal toolbox (I think my mom still uses it)
-A wooden napkin holder with a flower burned into it (she uses that, too)
-A key holder thingie
-A giant wooden clothespin
-A wood tic-tac-toe game that you can play with marbles
-A wood and plastic piggy bank
-A pad of paper with Opus (of Bloom County fame) printed on the pages
-A circuit tester
-A vinyl ice scraper
-Some buttons celebrating the Twins' 1987 World Series victory

I think I still have all of that stuff except for the pad of paper and the buttons.

From home ec, I still have my pillow in the shape of a computer (yes, I was a mega-nerd!!!) and a pair of infant sweatpants (my crowning achievement - A+!).

towwas said...

The only thing I remember making was a brass whale. We cast it from a wood model of a whale. It was pretty awesome. I think I might have cut open a geode, too. It was a very science-oriented shop class. Had some fancy name...R&E. Research and Experimentation, that was it. Glorified shop.

grrrbear said...

I also made the metal toolbox in my shop class. My dad still uses it, but had forgotten that it was a gift from me and not something purchased from a store - no doubt due to the high quality of the finished good.

My mom still has a wood-slat and rope hotpad that I made her, and a coatrack featuring small paintings of canadian geese, a moose, and a loon that I made in 6th grade art class and which I still think looks pretty darn kewl.

And I think I've still got the metal dustpan that I made, it's just gone missing recently and is probably lodged in the crevasse behind the water heater.

Other stuff I made that I've since misplaced in one of innumerable moves: A leather keychain, a plastic keychain in the shape of a wolf head, a leather wallet, a bluebird house, and (of course) an ashtray from the pottery section for my parents who didn't smoke.

I also have a clay bowl that I made in kindergarden which I made by molding clay into an actual bowl, then covering with glaze which and carving my initials into it. The bowl was then fired and is now sitting on my windowsill in my living room next to other bowls made by my much-more talented brother.

Anonymous said...

I too made the ubiquitous metal box in shop. It was, for a brief time, an "object" repository on my parent's night stand. Where "object" could range from spare change to pens to duck feathers to receipts for wd-40... pretty much whatever my dad found in his pocket at the end of the day.

Let's see, I also made a cutting board from alternating strips of different colored woods. By far my best attempt at crafting.

And a opague yellow plastic toothbrush holder. My parents wouldn't let me screw it into the wall, so it has never actually held a toothbrush. It never really got thrown out either... from time to time in my life I'm going through some random drawer or box and (whooomp!) there it is. I'm still expecting it to show up in my couch cushions any day now.