Tuesday, January 22, 2008

BLERGH!

It has not been a good day so far. To start with, I experienced some sort of mind f*ck this morning, and completely forgot to take my computer, planner, and project notebook with me to work. I realized my slip-up when I was 5 minutes away from my BART stop (and 45 minutes into my commute). I tried my best to do work without said computer, and found I ran out of things to do in one hour. Funny - the technological age. Computers are great and all, but it's pretty scary what little can happen without them. I feel under the control of my machine. Ugh.

So, in my state of complete work paralysis, I decided to commute back home (one hour), gather my computer and notes (5 minutes), and commute back to work (one hour).

In the middle of all that walking to the train station, getting on the train, getting off the train, getting on the train again, getting off the train again, my credit card company called me with the news of apparent "fraudulent activity" on my account. Turns out someone made two purchases over the internets using my card this morning, both for $1 each - just this type of activity credit card companies scan for to catch early stages of fraud.

I have to applaud them for their vigilance - they're only out $2 and I'm not stuck with some ridiculous "copay" to cover excessive charges. And I'm impressed by the stupidity of the credit card number thieves. I'm betting that, if they had charged some sum other than $1 (say, for example, $3.50 or, even better, $35), they would have successfully obtained internet crap on my credit card's dime. Idiots.

4 comments:

Stacey Pelika said...

Blergh, indeed! How did someone get your credit card number?!?!

I've had a lesser version of that 'get to work and realize you don't have what you need' experience, and it is totally sucky!

towwas said...

Oh, wow, that's creepy about the credit card. I don't think my credit card company would notice...possibly ever.

J-Vo said...

Once T-Vo went to work without his:
- belt
- white coat
- ID
- stethoscope
- and wallet.

Kinda hard to do doctoring when you are stethoscope-free.

Sucktastic re: the credit card. At least they picked it up!!

Anonymous said...

Great catch on the credit card company's part! You should send them a thank-you note, because I bet they don't get enough of those.