Thursday, January 03, 2008

New Year's Resolutions: Progress

Not good.

My #1 resolution* this year is to save money by avoiding the financial trap that is purchasing coffee on the way to work. Of the 3 mornings of this new year, I've purchased coffee ... 3 times. The dream was to make coffee at home and take it in my cute travel thermos, thus saving $2/day (or so). That's a total savings of $700 (give or take) over the year. The reality is that I don't have myself together in the morning, and I'm lucky to make it to the train on time without the hassle of making coffee.

I still have 362 mornings to realize my dream. Paying a mortgage, which will hopefully start within a few months, may just be the motivating factor.

* #2 = go to the gym more than never (no progress yet); #3 = take care of J.Po first (going relatively well)

6 comments:

Stacey Pelika said...

Don't they make coffeemakers that you can set to turn on in the morning before you even get up? I've never made a pot of coffee in my life, but for some reason I think those exist.

My current goal is to start getting out of bed before 11 a.m. It's like classes ended and I turned into a totally unproductive 16 year old.

J-Vo said...

I have vowed not to order pasta from a restaurant unless it is homemade pasta. I can make pasta from a box at home, thanks.

Anonymous said...

I have made the resolution to eat leftovers, when the occaision presents itself. I have also renewed my yearly resoultion to despise Cake. (the band, not the delicious bakery item)

Anonymous said...

Jiggity - you can't resolve to hate Cake (the band, not the delicious bakery item) because they rock too hard. Hating Cake (the band) is like, I don't know, hating cake (the delicious bakery item) or something.

Shannon said...

Coffeemakers with timers that you can set up the night before to make your coffee in the am do exist, and they are awesome! You could buy one and still save like $650 every year!
And re: alpacas, Raul is totally in love with them. He's been reading about them since making that hat. They don't make lanolin, so their fiber is hypoallergenic. And a single alpaca can produce 6-8 sweaters' worth of fiber every year. He really wants to get one and raise it in the backyard. He was disappointed when I introduced him to the concept of zoning for livestock.

Happy New Year!

towwas said...

Could you switch to tea? It has caffeine, too! And is super-speedy!