So I sortof expected the flood of post-mugging support to end somewhere around 4 days ago. But I was wrong. The love continues - this time by way of a note from Helen, sent (brace yourselves, folks) the old-fashioned way. Straight from Silver Spring, MD in a homemade envelope - as her notes always come - another dose of empathy entered my life. Not only did she express her love and concern, but she included 2 lists and $20. She funded the final lunch in my non-ATM-card-carrying era.
She writes:
"My dear Joanne,
After the tragic loss of your book (seriously - that's AWFUL) I wanted to send you some lists of my own. I've finished everything - well, okay, not the calendar, but I'll write that down somewhere else. if you don't want the money give it to someone who asks nicely. By which I mean 'without a knife'.
Love, Helen"
So with that, Helen, your lists enter my cyberjournal. Some of the items make zero sense to me, but there are stories in these words. I'm concocting some right now.
List #1, entitled 'At Work':
- new calendar [the only item NOT crossed out on said list]
- student loans
- pay Verizon bill
- call Jane M. - later is OK
- call SFCU - why can't I get on?
List #2, bearing no title:
- edit horses
- edit tamoxifen
- come up with way for Betsy to get articles...could leave them in stack for her? should tell her about Hannah
- plans for next wks. #
- factchk Jane + Betsy
Helen's mailing made me realize that everyone identifies with something different in my tale. For Helen, it was the lists and the fact that I lost so many. Alison, the journal. Christian had a particular affinity for the description of the knife - and the fact that I could not easily reconstruct the appearance of the thugs. Betty, in her own words, "And then what really got me, and I even teared up, was that the locksmith gave you a rose. That's got to do something to restore your faith in humanity."
What is so beautiful in all of this is that each of you took time to read my tale and identify with it - empathize by finding some piece that struck you in some particular way. Your appreciation for bits of my story helped me heal. Thank you.
Thursday, July 29, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment