Dude. Youse gatsa visit this site. But watch the clock. You may stay there for a while.
http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html
Friday, July 29, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One woman trying to uncover the mysteries of everyday life.
13 comments:
You can type in the first few letters of a name to see everything that starts with that - it's interesting to watch blocks of names that start the same way rise and fall at the same time. "Ho..." was a product of WWI, while "Te..." peaked in the '50's.
Dude, I love this website. I was trying to describe it to a friend who was about to have a baby, and I got as far as, "Oh my gosh, you should check out this one really cool website--" and she's like, "Name Voyager?"
This site is *awesome* j-po! It's exactly what I needed to prove that my name is a total fad name from the 1970's. Thanks!
Ditto to what grrrbear said!
Double-ditto Spice's ditto, since I not only also have a fad name, I have the _same_ fad name. I'm the Jordan-of-the-90's of the 70's!
My name peaked at #53 in the 1930s. Way to go, 'rents!!! I'm not dated at all!!! My sister isn't dated either. Rock on!
Sophist peaked in the 1880's. WOW!!!
Am I allowed to make three comments on the same post?
M.Bro was playing with this site last night and found that her parents were extremely faddish - all seven of her siblings have names that peaked when they were born. Way to be original, Sages.
We also decided that naming a baby is much more stressful than we thought. Do you pick something classic, like Will or Thomas, and have him share names with millions of other kids? But what if the name turns into the next Steve or George? I like Anderson, but according to a Slate story from a couple months ago, it's going to be one of the top names 10 years from now - is it worth being ahead of the curve now, only to be the equivalent of a 40 year old Brittney today? So much stress!
Not that we're having a baby. Get off my back.
I'm so intrigued about how we all suddenly think one name sounds good. Like my favorite boy's name - Ethan - which I've liked for a long time, and now is suddenly in the top 10. How did a bunch of people my age all separately decide Ethan was a good name? The same question can be asked of J.Po's love of Madeline, which is also a super-hot name right now. I don't buy the 'trickle-down-from-the-rich' theory for this, as I don't think of either of those names as rich-kid names, nor would I have any idea how I would have known that 10 years ago when I started liking 'Ethan.'
Anderson, on the other hand, can clearly be traced to the yummy Anderson Cooper.
Okay, I just looked again, and was absolutely shocked that 'Sebastian' is now in the top 100 names for boys. I thought I was the only person in the U.S. who liked super-wussy British boys names!
Grrrbear, a friend of mine just had a baby and gave it your name. The twin sister got a total fad name of this decade - a city name. Spice, I read an article recently explaining why girls' names move in fads like that - it totally made sense, but I can't explain it. It's probably the Slate article someone else referred to. It was explaining how, say, Madeleine is faddish for a bit, so all at the same time, a bunch of people at once all have the bright idea that "Madison" sounds cute, because it has a similar ring. Something like that.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to with the trickle-down-from-the-rich theory. I just don't buy it, though. I guess it's similar to how the whole world decides that tapered jeans look really cool, and then we decide that we want the legs wide instead, and the tapered jeans look all dorky.
That's a great story. Waiting for more. Epson 340 inkjet printers starz dance factory Voluntary medical malpractice mediation disadvantages Insurance holiday travel us cyclothymia venlafaxine symptoms of depression venlafaxine Parkinson chat on neurologists lexapro and venlafaxine hcl can venlafaxine hci get u high guranteed approval payday advances Phentermine c o d federal express 160-2 diamond roller chain http://www.commercial-file-cabinets.info/Football.html stampede toyota calgary Brilliant sofa Ft+worth+lasik+eye+surgeon
Post a Comment