Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Really Astounding.


This was quickly pulled by the Assoicated Press after someone realized this may reveal the fact that racism still exists in this country. I am horrified.

2 comments:

OleNelson said...

Don't ask, but I happened to listen to Sean Hannity attempt to explain away these photos and the issue they represent. His defense rested largely on the notion that 12-packs of Coke often float.

towwas said...

These pictures aren't as clear-cut as you'd think, though, from what I gather from my obsessive reading of media sites. For one thing, they come from two different wire services, so it's not like one editor looked at them both and was like, black people looting! white people finding! Second, people have talked to the photographer on the "finding" picture and he said the food was floating around outside and "finding" made sense. And finally, those are the captions sent out by the wires - each newspaper that uses them would write their own caption.

So anyway. I agree that racism is huuuuuge in this whole thing, but I don't think this pair of photos illustrates it quite as well as everyone thinks.

Does a 12-pack of Coke float? I've never put one in water. Isn't that a thing on Letterman? I bet it sinks.