Thursday, September 08, 2005

Why?

Why at a time of national disaster am I turning to Oprah for hope? I just spent the last hour flipping around her site and reading about the 'Angel Network' that's been mobilized to help victims and report on the squalor. I also signed up for Google alerts regarding "Oprah Katrina".

I often pretend that I find Oprah rediculous. But secretly, I think she's great. She has a way of using much of her extensive power for good. And she can actually understand what it means to be poor and black in the south.

On another note, Sean Penn is great too - taking his boat into nasty-ass waters to rescue who he could from the floods. If Sean Penn was capable of getting himself to the center of the mess, how is it that the US military took such a damn long time. Oh yea. Their ranks are thin because most are fighting an oil war and they answer to someone who doesn't give a damn about the impoverished. Right.

Soon I will write about positive things again....like the cake I baked for the one who studies whales this weekend, which happened to come in the shape of a whale.

No comments: