Monday, April 18, 2005

Meaningful Words from Statisticians

Wow, this is deep. I'm reading all about growth curves and how to model them. Here's the best part of a paper I just finished reading:

"The unwise and loose use of unstructured models may lead us to believe that all sounds are music." From Kinetic Models for Normal and Impaired Growth by S. Milani

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you saying that all sounds aren't music?

grrrbear said...

Examples of sounds that aren't music:

1) Motorcycles without mufflers
2) My neighbor practicing his drum set with the windows open...even in January
3) Nascar Racing
4) Fran Drescher
5) Atonal music

Ted Pavlic said...

Did you know that a crying baby has a higher sound pressure level than a motorcycle (probably with muffler)? (by something like 9 dB) It ranks right behind a jet engine and a rock concert!

J.Po said...

I hate fran drescher. Her voice is like fingernails on a chalk board. Sheesh.

Some sounds are music ... it's a matter of distinguishing background noise from music.

Anonymous said...

To clarify my earlier question - I can hear all the voices of the rainbow through the many eyes of god.

Annie said...

This one modern German choreographer (need I say more?) wanted to do a dance to helicopter sounds. But there were no good recordings. So he got the German Army to agree to fly helicopters around for an hour or so while he and his sound team got good recordings.

Can you imagine being an ultra-macho military helicopter pilot, and your superior officer tells you to go fly around your vehicle for an hour because some effete turtleneck-wearing artist wants to record you so he can do a modern dance to helicopter sounds?

I saw the dance and it was freaky.

Ted Pavlic said...

I think it would be fun if some couple made the "dollar dance" at their wedding (where you pay a dollar to dance with the bride as another gift to the couple) to helicopter music.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Adoption rights for gay couples Buick lesabre repairs Web templates graphic design and custom web design Arome absoloute perfume Buy+an+area+rug+in+edmonton open road ferrari sport Auto pool covers alfa romeo 156 gta am recover data from formated hard disc Poolball anal What is internet advertising nl 99 Manik grille guard jeep cherokee farmer s+insurance

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Cheap bontril online with cod Forex+currency+trading The threadlift facelift Decks patios driveways plainfield indiana moist hairy pussy videos Incorporating services with starware Free download cartoon sex movie

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »