Thursday, April 28, 2005

Who out there is paying attention?

Did any of you bloggers notice I changed my dates and times to read in Slovene? I was pretty pumped to find Slovene on the long list of language setting options.

I visited Slovenia once and knocked on the door of some distant relatives who had no idea I was coming and had no idea who I was, until they pulled out a picture of my entire extended family in which I was wearing a HUGE butterfly colar at the age of 5.

The relatives didn't speak English and I didn't speak Slovene, so when they took me out to see the small town where my great grandmother was born and raised, they brought along a translator who had been learning English for several years. When discussing the relative difficulty of our languages when it comes to pluralizing nouns (Slovene has 3 "numerical" categories for nouns - whereas we have one[single] or more than one[plural], they have one, two, or more than two), he made the most adorable comment. It went something like this:

"English is easy. You have one sheep and two sheeps."

Yea. English is WAY easy, until you get to all those exceptions.

5 comments:

grrrbear said...

I noticed. But you've been doing it for so long I thought you'd always had it set up that way.

Also, I had no idea what language it was. But I didn't want to admit it because it made me feel small...

Anonymous said...

Fuck - I have no sheeps. I don't think I even have any wools. Maybe a sweater, but certainly no pants or socks.

Stacey Pelika said...

I noticed as well - and guessed (correctly) that it was Slovene. My second guess would have been...Esperanto, of course!

I still love that story about your relatives. My guess is that there aren't any random photos of me floating around Norway or Sweden. Apparently some set of relatives was not very nice to my crazy Aunt Martha, although that might have had a lot more to do with her than with them.

Stacey Pelika said...

Also, I was very happy to see a new post from you - it's been a while!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Craps simulators Imitrex complications wholesale+surveillance+camera