It was a good night for Oscar. I laughed, I cried, I saw Johnny wearing the teeth of Captail Jack Sparrow on the red carpet. Cate Blanchet was stunning in her butter yellow gown with maroon waiste scarf. And Natalie Portman appeared all grown up, wearing a mature couture piece to match her mature role in Sideways. Chris Rock did a fantastic job of "not" talking about politics, using the Gap and Banana Republic as a suiting metaphore for the catastropy that is the Bush administration. Of all audience members, Alan Alda wins the award for most enthusiastic. He appeared genuinely pleased for each and every nominee and winner and he was truly delighted "just to be nominated". And then there's Oprah. I became, once again, keenly aware of the power that is Oprah - with her front section seat and many mentions, despite her non-direct invovlement in film.
Oscar certanly had its weak points. Like, what was the deal with Beyonce? Beyonce wearing obnoxious green dress with matching eyeshadow singing with many young boys; Beyonce wearing too much gown, too much hair, too much makeup and a necklace that was the chandellier from the Phantom of the Opera, with cameo appearance by the phantom himself; Beyonce wearing sparkly blue mermaid gown singing next to that young hotty with mop-top hair and puppy-dog eyes. Far too much of Beyonce this evening. And I also give a big thumbs down to the unusual means of award delivery - from the stage to the isleway to the balcony. It didn't work for me.
And then there's the best part of the night: Clint Eastwood on the red carpet. He introduced Flat Stanley, who is part of a project for his daughter's school. My guess is that there's a real Stanley out there who is going to be pretty excited to find that Flat Stanley travelled to the Oscars. What a score!*
*if you don't understand the Flat Stanley thing, ask me or Spice. we'll fill you in.
Sunday, February 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I wish I had seen the Flat Stanley part!
I agree that there was too much Beyonce.
I liked Chris Rock, particularly his snarky intros of various presenters. But I thought it was odd that when he first came out, the camera people kept showing black members of the audience - could the white folks not enjoy his comedy as well? I know I did.
And finally, Renee Zellweger should not have black hair. Ever.
Spice, you're totally right re: black people and Chris Rock. The night was full of segregation via camera shots. Did you notice that when the Spanish language foreign film one the oscar, the cameras searched the audience for all known spanish speakers and ended up zooming in on Antonio Banderas and Santana. Come on people! It's 2005. I laughed heartily at the White Chicks movie bit...and I'm a white chick. The whole point of Chris Rock's humor is to point out the fact that we're different - but that we can all laugh about it. It was so ironical to me that the oscar producers/cameramen performed in a way that exactly exhibited what CR makes fun of all the time. Case in f'in point. Dude.
Please pardon my use of "one" insead of "won" in my last comment. I am tired and jobless. Give me a break.
best regards, nice info »
Post a Comment