Todays post will not be centered around a particular theme. Instead, it will be a hodge-podge of things that must be noted for the general interest of my faithful readers. Then again, maybe the theme should be chaos since that was the theme of my week, of my workplace, and of my current state of mind.
1) Today in the mail, I received the winter 2004-2005 edition of the publication 'Ecu Link,' which is put out by the National Council of Churches USA. Now, how the hell did I get signed up for this publication containing articles taking positions that are completely opposite to my own? Perhaps they got a hold of the Planned Parenthood donors list and tried to infiltrate the growing pool of morally bankrupt, goddless liberals. One of the articles in this periodical begins, "Human beings are 'fearfully and wonderfully made' by God, according to the Bible. Our wondrous makeup includes the ability and drive to decode secrets of the created order through scientific inquiry and to apply discoveries in ways that have changed our enviroument and the way we live." You can imagine where it goes from there. All I need to say is that the word 'nanotechnology' gets used an awful lot.
2) Today during lunch with a new friend, conversation drifted to the oft-discussed topic of the Boy in the Bubble. I haven't thought about the Boy in the Bubble since I was about 9, when I learned what now strikes me as an inordinate amount of information about said Boy. It only occurred to me today that virtually everyone in the X Generation knew of Bubble Boy and his extremely tender immune system. A tragic story, really. But for some reason it makes me giggle that so many of us knew SO MUCH about the Boy. Where is he now? My lunch companion suspects he has passed. I will be investigating the story soon. Expect a blog about my findings.
3) The beginning adult ballet class I was hoping to join at the end of this month is full. There is a good chance that another class will be formed. There are currently 9 people on the non-class class list. I am number 9. If they get enough people to sign up, I can fulfill my lifelong dream. Therefore, if you know anyone in the greater San Francisco Bay Area who is over 18 and would like to learn ballet, send them to me or my blog and I will provide approporiate directives.
4) My apartment still smells like burnt toast.
5) I choose the same New Year's resolution every year and I always wander off path around February. The pattern continues. Two days this week, I failed to floss my teeth. Someone recommended that I try with a less ambitious goal and floss one or two teeth each day - build up over time to the whole set.
6) I will be jobless very very soon and I cannot wait. The fear will probably set in after about 1 week without work. But fear can be the first step toward very positive changes. I might find myself doing exactly what I want to do. 'Exactly what I want to do' changes for me all the time. Right now, I think I want to work for an organization like the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Anyone out there have connections?
7) The Oscars are fast approaching and I still have to see Million Dollar Baby, Ray, and Sideways. Though I can pretend all I like, Hotel Rwanda will never be up for Best Picture. How did it go unrecognized?
8) It's beginning to dawn on me that mine was not an average American childhood. Spice has stimulated this thinking with her recent blog about early evidence of dorkdom. Perhaps it was not 'average' that my parents to took me to several Peter, Paul and Mary concerts and that my dad allowed me to stay up beyond bedtime on Fridays to watch Wall Street Week (PBS).
Saturday, February 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ah, the Bubble Boy! I was going to write an extended comment, but ran out of time because I was diverted by this fascinating story I found about the Bubble Boy - http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/1997-04-10/feature.html
He was not a happy camper. And I can't say I blame him.
Post a Comment