Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Long Incubation at Room Temperature

Last Tuesday before to work, I prepared a tupperware full of pasta for lunch. About 10 minutes after getting to work, I realized that I couldn't find said tupperware. I searched the obvious places in the office, couldn't find the pasta, and figured I left it at home.

But when I got home? Not there.

My mind was set a-flutter. Conspiracy theories were brewing. A container of pasta doesn't just disappear.... or does it? But who would conspire to steal.....pasta?!?!

And so my mad investigation commenced. I searched and searched and searched for that tupperware - considering anyone who might have a vendetta against me, asking 'where would I be if I were a tupperware', wondering if I'd eaten the pasta without knowing it, etc, etc, etc. But after 5 days, with the pasta still mysteriously missing, I decided to take it as a loss and move onto more important concerns (i.e. - thinking about Johnny Depp).

And then yesterday at work, while retrieving a file from the second drawer of my filing cabinet, I located my tupperware....still full of pasta. For some reason, when I was storing my lunch last Tuesday, my mind replaced 'refrigerator' with 'second drawer of filing cabinet'.

Am I losing my mind? Yes. But that's not the most disturbing part of this tale. This takes the cake: when I opened the tupperware to toss the pasta that was sitting for a week at room temperature, it smelled ... well .... fine! You'd think that 7 days without refrigeration would result in a stanktacular stankerrific stanky stank. Not so. Huh.

3 comments:

grrrbear said...

Maybe not. If it was just pasta and veggies, it might be fine. It's when meat and or dairy get involved that stankyhood is virtually assured, I would think.

For example, the GF left the cream cheese out all night last night, ergo, I threw the tub away and didn't even dare open it...

J.Po said...

I agree, sortof. The pasta was stuffed with cheese. Hmmm.

Annie said...

I'd eat it. I'm immune Bacillus cereus and Clostridium perfringens. Mmmm, please pass the rotten food.