Turns out I couldn't get through the first pages of Zen and Motorcycles, so it's back on my shelf collecting dust. I'm moving on to First Man, a somewhat unfinished manuscript discovered in the wreckage of Albert Camus' car after his fatal car accident. The accident was in 1960. The book was published by his children in 1995. Wowzers.
Camus has to be on my top 5 list of writers, which is not yet formulated.
Thursday, March 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I have to admit that I don't know how to pronounce Camus. All I know is that he was a writer and that his name is pronounced funny - maybe because he's not American, I don't recall exactly.
All I remember is that there was a joke on Prairie Home Companion once about how knowing the right pronounciation marked you as a true literary-type person.
cah-MOO. I think. Isn't it?
Yes, TOWWAS is right, with cah- sounding like the cah- in camel. I took French. Benefit. Camus was raised (or at least spent a lot of time) in Algeria. I think he was French and I know he lived in France for a while as an adult?? Sophist??
I believe you're right, Po, although my knowledge of Camus is pretty dusty (we read a lot of him in high-school and college French). Ronit and I wrote a smashing update of The Plague, setting it in mid-80s America amidst the AIDS crisis. We thought we were pretty awesome for coming up with that.
You'll have to tell us now First Man is. I'm currently reading "Case Histories," one of the bucketload of books Ole lent me this weekend. Did you know that "One Hundred Years of Solitude" is "required reading for the entire human race" according to its back cover?
MUST....READ....ONE....HUNDRED....YEARS....OF....SOLITUDE....
Started it circa 1998 and never finished. I think I'd find Love in the Time of Cholera more interesting, mostly because the title includes a disease that stimulated the formation of public health epidemiology.
Okay, my TV love of last night was the April Fool's PSAs that the cast of The Office did. They're done like all of the other "The More You Know" NBC spots, but are about things like bears and wedding invites ("All of the information is on that paper. Do not call the bride!") They can all be viewed here:
http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/sub_122.shtml
This is very interesting site... » »
Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! french bathtubs car gps pda 12 k online schools Hanging lock watch Connecticut medical malpractice http://www.floor-mats-ford.info/Sony_progressive_dvd_player.html Hamilton beach ovens Parts for amana dryer U of m cancer center Drug information bontril sr.html Watson vicodin Pediatric wheelchair harness Where can i find disney mp3 players Chrysler minivan trailer hitch Mit ballroom dancing Authored dvd players Cd changer sc radio volvo
Post a Comment