Monday, January 31, 2005

3 + 9 = too much extraneous information

Yesterday I went to Safeway to pick up coffee beans, fresh bread, and eggs. At the end of my 3-item-purchase, I was given a receipt that measures 12 inches in length. My reaction? WTF?!?!?!?! In my opinion, there is no need for a receipt longer than 3 inches (one inch for each item).

Here's what I learned from the other 9 inches:
- I saved $3.30 by using my club card (i.e. my home phone number).
- The system has my home phone number registered under Debra Sheldon ('thank you Ms. Sheldon').
- The total percentage of savings using my home phone number was 22%.
- I can save $50 by buying my Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Tickets at Safeway.
- I should look out for flags on purchases that can be submitted for Health Care Flex Spending Account reimbursement.
- I have purchased 0 of 7 items toward my 1st FREE HALLMARK CARD.
- I have purchased 0 of 7 items toward my 1st FREE DELI SANDWICH.
- I can contact Safeway at 1-877-723-3929 or safeway.com.
- I visited the Safeway Store #691 at 1444 Shattuck Place.

Who actually reads all that shit?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few months ago I bought a CD at Best Buy while they were in the middle of a class-action suit. Everyone's receipts had information about the suit, who qualified to file, how to file, etc. - they must have been eight feet long.

Stacey Pelika said...

This reminds me that H.Go has to call and cancel the Sports Illustrated subscription she got (for the 8 free issues) when I was at Best Buy to purchase a CD. That, too, resulted in a massive receipt.

Even the Coop has long receipts - they divide all your purchases into categories, so there's a header ("Organic Vegetables") and then a list of everyting in that category. They've printed a number of complaints about that in the ever-entertaining newsletter they send to members. This month's issue had a letter about misuse of the spots for the 'differently abled' (not official handicapped spots), and someone asking for gluten-free bacon and hot dogs, which apparently are available already but can be purchased specially if you'd like a different brand.