Thursday, June 08, 2006

crackpot landloards

The Bay Area is chock full o' crazyass landloards. With the impending exodus from my current apartment (myself and my roomate are both leaving), we've been having more contact than desired with the company that owns our building and collection of other properties about town. I sent in my 30 days notice letter several weeks ago and heard nothing in response. My roomate sent his and, within a week, got an itemized list of services for which money will be deducted from the security deposit. This list includes painting, carpet cleaning, "janitorial services", etc, etc. The total cost of said services? $800. Jackassy, don't you think? It's time to contact the Rental Board .... again. I believe the Better Business Bureau will be getting a letter.

In better business news, the people who will be moving my stuff sent me the nicest reminder of the date and time. In the note they enclosed a checklist of things one should do when moving residences and a blank postal office card for address change. So thoughtful. Thanks for the rec, Sophist.

5 comments:

J.Po said...

Question: should movers be tipped? If so, how much?

Annie said...

Oh yeah, movers should be tipped. I tipped $60 total (the bill was around $240 for a cross-town move), but I don't know if that is generous or stingy! But these guys seemed pretty happy with it. And I LOVE them. They're so professional and so time-efficient and careful with your stuff. And they are amazing at lifting stuff!

Stacey Pelika said...

Absolutely you should tip. I'm going to request that Ole shares his 'tips for treating movers well' - he has been a mover in the past, and there are a whole bunch of things you can do to make your movers happy...

J.Po said...

My tendancy was to tip, so thanks for the confirmation. Ole's recommendation is much desired.

As for other "good" treatment, I was thinking of buying a selection of pasteries and make some coffee and have water/juice on hand. Anything else?

Stacey Pelika said...

Ole has thoughts on the food/beverage selection as well - and I just talked to him about this, so his detailed reply should appear soonish!