(1) 24-Hour Fitness makes it really difficult to quit a memberships. I've been paying $45 a month for 2 years - directly applied to my credit card. Considering the number of times I've gone to the gym, I probably paid an average of $15 per visit. In addition to this ridiculous cost, I no longer live or work close to a gym, so it's time to quit! But it turns out to be not-so-easy! In this day-and-age of internet and complex digital phone messaging systems, I cannot use one of these convenient options. Instead, I have to physically present myself in the actual gym (which I no longer live near) to quit my membership. I wasn't born yesterday - I know they're doing this to increase barriers to quitting and as soon as I walk in there to declare my desire to quit, I'll get a mouthful about the need to STAY FIT! I cannot wait. It will be good times - guaranteed.
(2) I've decided that the only way I will actually get regular exercise and feel good about it is to build it into my everyday life. This is the goal in most public health interventions around exercise vis-a-vis obesity and I tend to agree that it's the way to go. Several years ago, physical activity public healthers launched a "10,000 Steps a Day" campaign, trying to get folks to (big surprise here!) walk 10,000 steps a day. When I graduated from ye olde PH School, I was given a pedometer as a parting gift (along with a mug, as though I don't have enough of those). I found the pedometer these several years later whilst packing for my move and I decided to start wearing it to see how many actual steps I take in an average day. What have I realized? 10,000 steps is IS A LOT OF STEPS!!! And this is coming from a person who does not drive and takes public transportation everywhere - and is, therefore, required to walk A LOT. By A LOT, I mean I walk an average of 45 minutes to an hour a day. (And I walk quickly, so my 45 minutes probably covers a distance of an average American's 60 minutes of walking.) With all this walking, I BARELY (and I mean BARELY) get within a stone's throw of 10,000 steps. Conclusion? This is an intervention destined to fail. Just like the Surgeon General recommending 30-40 minutes of vigorous activity 5 days a week. Not gonna happen.
(3) I'm considering re-investing my heart and soul in ballet. I stopped going a year ago, when summer activities picked up. Fall was a CRAZY time at work and the whole ballet thing fell completely off the radar. I'm sortof scared to go back, but I think it's time. I MUST DANCE!! Updates to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment