Monday, June 06, 2005

It's Quiz Time! WEE!!!

For some unknown reason, it's been a while since the blogring has discussed music. That will change with this here post.

I have some prompts for you:

1.) First music concert experience.

2.) First concert post age=10.

3.) Most emotionally-moving live performance.

4.) BEST CONCERT EVER.

5.) The concert that turned you from non-fan into fan.

6.) Favorite concert venue.

7.) Live performance you wish you would've seen.

8.) Live performance you swear you'll see before you die.

9.) Most beat for the buck - concert where cost was low and entertainment was HIGH!

10.) Best LIVE song.

5 comments:

J.Po said...

J.Po here, answering my own questions...

1.) First music concert experience.
Peter, Paul and Mary at the Blossom Music Center in Ohio. Age 3.

2.) First concert post age=10.
New Kids on the Block at some crappy county fair. Age 12. Tiffany was the opening act. Priceless.

3.) Most emotionally-moving live performance.
Cowboy Junkies 'Lay it Down' tour at the Front Row (? - Spice, help me out) in Minneapolis. Sweet Jane, Misguided Angel, etc etc. Amazing. Even met Margo after the show!

4.) BEST CONCERT EVER.
U2 Vertigo Tour, Boston, May 2005. Enough said.

5.) The concert that turned you from non-fan into fan.
REM Up tour, sometime around 1998 at the Shorline Ampitheater, Mountainview, CA. The best REM concert of several that I've been to.

6.) Favorite concert venue.
The Fillmore in San Francisco.

7.) Live performance you wish you would've seen.
Any Whitesnake performance circa 1988.

8.) Live performance you swear you'll see before you die.
Something involving Radiohead or Paul Simon ... or both(?!?)

9.) Most beat for the buck - concert where cost was low and entertainment was HIGH!
Prince Musicology Tour, fall 2004. $16 last-minute tix. Thanks, K.Kool!

10.) Best LIVE song.
Mary - by Patty Griffin.

Stacey Pelika said...

1.) First music concert experience.
Does seeing the first-ever performance of "Sesame Street Live" count?

2.) First concert post age=10.
Probably, shamefully, Bruce Willis. Or The Monkees with opening act Weird Al Yankovic.

3.) Most emotionally-moving live performance.
When Aimee Mann stopped the show to tell us that the Supreme Court had just ruled against Al Gore.

4.) BEST CONCERT EVER.
I'm going to have to concur with J.Po - U2 Vertigo Tour, Boston, May 2005.

5.) The concert that turned you from non-fan into fan.
Probably The Jayhawks at Luther's Blues in Madison.

6.) Favorite concert venue.
Hmmm...I guess out of tradition I'll go with the recently saved First Avenue in Minneapolis (is that what you were thinking of, J.Po?)

7.) Live performance you wish you would've seen.
U2 in San Jose - sometime around 2000.

8.) Live performance you swear you'll see before you die.
Simon and Garfunkel - I should have just gone by myself when they toured recently. I've seen Paul Simon, though - twice. And I recently marked off Springsteen and U2, which was the rest of my list. Oh, probably Pearl Jam solo.

9.) Most beat for the buck - concert where cost was low and entertainment was HIGH!
Superdiamond! At Bimbo's in SF - it was what - $12? And when I first saw Barenaked Ladies for $9 in a tiny bar in Minneapolis in 1994 or so - before they were at all big in the U.S.

10.) Best LIVE song.
Achingly beautiful category - "Country Feedback," R.E.M.
Rockin' out category - "Sunday Bloody Sunday," U2

**
I'm going to add another question - who have you seen in concert? (I'm doing this partly to help me with the above...but I'd be curious to see other folks' lists.)

-Bruce Willis
-The Monkees with Weird Al
-Paul Simon (x2)
-Billy Joel (x2)
-They Might Be Giants
-Soul Coughing (x2)
-Barenaked Ladies (x4? - once with Semisonic)
-R.E.M. (many times)
-Natalie Merchant
-Ani DiFranco (x2 or 3)
-Alanis Morissette (for free, days before she hit it big)
-Mary Chapin Carpenter
-The BoDeans
-Toad the Wet Sprocket
-Violent Femmes
-Gear Daddies/Martin Zellar (x2)
-Tears for Fears
-Indigo Girls (x2?)
-Suzy Bogguss (I had a friend who was a big country-music fan)
-Cowboy Junkies (x2) (once with Guster)
-Dave Matthews Band
-Aimee Mann w/Grant-Lee Phillips
-Wilco (opening for R.E.M.)
-Sarah McLachlan
-No Doubt
-Superdiamond
-Keane w/The Zutons
-Patty Griffin
-U2
-The Jayhawks
-Bruce Springsteen/R.E.M./Bright Eyes/John Fogerty (Vote for Change)
-Many folks at Bridge School and Lillith Fair (including Tracy Chapman, Neil Young, Jonathan Richman, Billy Idol (yeah!), Phish, Pearl Jam, and others listed above)

Anonymous said...

1.) First music concert experience.
-The first I can remember is Tricia Yearwood at the Knox County Fair, circa 1990. That already makes it my answer to #1 and #2, for which I blame parents with no interest in music.

2.) First concert post age=16.
Pearl Jam in Omaha, circa 1996 - still in my top three concert experiences.

3.) Most emotionally-moving live performance.
That would be Modest Mouse, circa a few months ago. If the emotions include fear for my own life.

4.) BEST CONCERT EVER.
Brunettes/Shins at the Rave in Milwaukee - not a high-profile show, but it edged out a Nine Inch Nails concert from 1998 or so that I really thought would hold the top slot for a long time.

5.) The concert that turned you from non-fan into fan.
Von Bondies, circa last summer - I got to watch the show from the first row in front of a stage that couldn't have been more than 24" high. I could have punched Jason Stollsteimer in the privates. If I wanted to.

6.) Favorite concert venue.
That's a tough one, but I'm going to go with the Annex in Madison - if only for the closeness and immediacy of the band when they're on stage.

7.) Live performance you wish you would've seen.
Nirvana, in the early Nevermind days. I saw Foo Fighters on tour with Red Hot Chili Peppers, and that's probably as close as I'm going to get.

8.) Live performance you swear you'll see before you die.

9.) Most beat for the buck - concert where cost was low and entertainment was HIGH!
Hee - Pat McGurdy. Not really a band so much as a comedic musician - lots of audience participation, lots of group singing, lots of extemperaneous 80's covers...

10.) Best LIVE song.
That'd have to be "Jeremy" at the Pearl Jam concert above - nothing like 30,000 people singing in unison about a homicidal pre-teen.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! videos of asians having sex Fitness phinney exercise breathe stretch review of atlanta asian spas Classic car insurance quotation bell alarm system Ritalin+and+alcohol Teen voyeur masturbation Blackberries soil acidity nc model rockets plans Michael jackson's thriller dance Trouble shooting with your frigidaire dishwasher Golf shaft flexes

Anonymous said...

What a great site Stacy keibler2fchriste hemme lingerie pillow fight pics bextra valdecoxib tablet Order percocet with no prescription http://www.farmers-insurance-colorado.info Free online birthday cards video Rekeying 2004 toyota corolla http://www.vardenafilonsale4.info cheap dvd player Accutane legal career center Jeep thermostat Didrex buy tramadol online didrex online buy didrex Donated wheelchairs ft worth tx Lingerie dropshipper fairfield resorts