Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rapid Fire, DC Style

Hey now! I don' t have tons of time today to post, but I thought I'd give a run-down on the happenings in DC. This will be fast, so buckle your seat belts!

Wednesday 10:00pm PST - scheduled time of departure from SFO
Wednesday 11:30pm PST - actual departure from SFO
Wednesday 12:00 midnight PST - J.Po swallows Ambien
Thursday 8:20am EST - Sis.Po and Sis.Hub depart for National Airport to retrieve J.Po.
Thursday 8:30am EST - J.Po lands in Philly, having missed 2 departures to DC (the original and the one I was placed onto after I missed the connection).
Thursday 8:31am EST - J.Po calls Sis.Po at home and cell to warn them of her delay, with no response.
Thusrday 9:00am EST - Sis.Po and Sis.Hub page J.Po at National Airport to no avail and return home where a message is awaiting them on their home and cell phones explaining the situation.
Thursday 11:30am EST - J.Po finally gets on flight to National (I'm told by TOWWAS that I MUST call it National, not Reagan Airport)
Thursday 1:00pm EST - At long last, J.Po, Sis.Po, and Sis.Hub meet up.
Thursday din-din - J.Po supps with Sis.Po's department at a goodbye din-din. Everyone agrees that Sis.Po got a bum deal with this Iraq deployment thing.
Friday a.m. - J.Po learns the wonder that is the Tour de France. Sis.Hub teaches her that there is a load of strategy involved in the race. J.Po is impressed by the bleeding-butt guy who took an unfortunate spill off his bike. He was thought to be a potential contender for the win.
Friday afternoon - J.Po and team go to Mt. Vernon. J.Po is impressed by the number of poo sitings. Sheep poo, horse poo, a "dung repository" that looks much like a compost heap. J.Po purchases a tri-cornered hat for Jiggity.
Friday evening - Alsho comes to Sis.Po's house to meet up with J.Po. Sis.Po's friends from HOM (Her Alma Mater) and their two kids (ages 1.5 and 4) arrive for a visit from New Hampshire. The whole gang eats pizza and J.Po takes a liking to the 1.5-year-old. Silly face games ensue.
Friday evening, post-dinner - Alsho takes J.Po to her house, a LOVELY and RELAXING escape. J.Po bunks in the yoga room. Her blood pressures goes down and she considers staying forever. Ahh.
Saturday AM - TOWWAS comes to Alsho's to brunch with Alsho and J.Po. TOWWAS brings sausage and Alsho cooks waffles in her maker that was gifted by L.Kes and J.Po. Bellies fill to the max and food comma sets in. Mmmmm....
Saturday post-brunch - TOWWAS departs for her baby shower activities. Alsho and J.Po depart for the zoo, to meet up with Sis.Po, Sis.Hub, and her friends from HAM.
Saturday afternoon - The gang spends 5 hours at the zoo. J.Po's favorite animals are the free-roaming monkeys (baby monkeys on the backs of adult monkeys make her squeal with joy). J.Po and Alsho have ice cream for lunch. Wise choice? Yes!
Saturday evening - J.Po says goodbye to Sis.Po and Sis.Hub. Alsho and J.Po return to Alsho's house for dinner. TOWWAS joins the party, and refuses to eat cheese. No surprise. TOWWAS then entertains the crowd with her revels video. Alsho plans to go to the performance this winter. Perhaps Spice will join her?
Sunday morning 5:30am EST - Alsho (the doll that she is) drives J.Po to National for her 7:00am departure. J.Po discovers she is not booked on the flight, due to the mishap earlier in the week. She gets the last seat on the flight, but it's a center seat whereas the original was a window.
Sunday 7:00am EST- J.Po settles into her center seat and is joined by a woman and her young child. Child begins grabbing J.Po's sweater and stepping on her leg to entertain herself. The grabbing and stepping continues throughout the flight, without much intervention by mother. Perhaps a cultural difference in personal space? J.Po remembers she adores children, but not when they keep her from sleeping during the flight.
Sunday 12:20 PST - J.Po lands at SFO and Jiggity arrives to retrieve her. J.Po is glad to be home and envisions an afternoon nap.

8 comments:

towwas said...

Welcome home! Damn, that is a lot of airplane mishaps for one short trip. And, really, small children, I love 'em, but you can't let them just step on people. The airlines do technically allow you to fly with a baby under 2 without a seat, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Anyway. Yay for visiting and for Alsho's revolutionarily relaxing house!

Annie said...

OMG I love I love!!!!
I got as far as you learning the wonder that is Tour de France. and i know you met up with TOWWAS afterwards but I got too excited and couldnt' finishi reading once I saw you got into TDF. I LOVE TOUR DE FRANCE!!!!!!

Annie said...

Hope Jiggity like the tri-cornered hat. And dude it sounds like you had a TON of fun, especially with the ice cream for lunch and monkeys and seeing Sis.po before deployment.

Sorry about rough flight back to SF. I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU TOMORROW. SO MUCH TO DISH.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE the tri-corner hat. I've always wanted one. So much better than those totally boring 0-corner hats I'm used to. One might even say INFINATELY better.

J.Po said...

Thanks for the age limit info on flying with kids, TOWWAS. I was wondering about that during my entire flight. The child was probably pretty close to 2 years old and she seemed to be doing enough standing, wandering, flailing and climbing to require her own seat, or at least more space (which she got from me). Had mom been traveling with another adult companion or been in the isle seat (she was at the window), it would've been just fine.

For some periods of time during the flight, *I* became her adult travel companion, put in charge of watching the child while she went to the bathroom (without much prior questioning or explanation). I understand that it's REALLY hard to travel with kids, but I'm not sure a total stranger is the one you want keeping an eye out. Perhaps a flight attendant would be a better option?

All that said, there were definitely some cultural differences going on between me and baby mommy. Given her accent, I think she's from somewhere in Africa. And I bet there are different cultural rules around personal space and who should watch your kids and stuff like that.

towwas said...

Ah yes. Very different personal space rules indeed, from my limited experience in Africa. And definitely different (some would argue better) ideas about who takes care of the kids.

Stacey Pelika said...

Now that Jiggity has a tricorner, you guys will have to visit W'burg - we could wear our hats together!

J.Po said...

RE: my last comment...

Just to note, I realize that "isle" means body of land surrounded by water and "aisle" means perpendicular walkway between rows of chairs. That was a mistype, not a spelling issue (though spelling issue would have been a good guess with me). I just didn't feel like re-typing the whole damn comment. Stupid comments - with no editing allowed.