Wikipedia has a page about tricornes, which I was sent to after typing in "tri-cornered hat"*.
I'm glad someone pointed out that "Participants in reenactment events often don tricornes...". True enough.
Though Jiggity's hat has neither a plum nor a cockade, he likes it anyway ... and promises to wear it this weekend on our Friday-Monday getaway.
* After all the discussion of tri-cornered hats in the comments earlier, I was curious of the proper name: tri-cornered or tricorner. If Wikipedia is right, both are acceptable. In my opinion, tricorne is even better.
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
In my elementary school history classes, my teacher always referred to them as "Beaver Hats". In retrospect, this was probably because they were made of Beaver felt and not because the style of the hat resembled a beaver head, as I believed.
Interesting, I have heard "beaver hat" refer to the Daniel Boone type hat as well as the top hats of the Victorian era, but never to tricorner hats.
And I had never heard of tricorner hats refered to as a tricorne, but that is so rad.
A tricorn(e) sounds like a unicorn but way cooler.
Like a triceratops, Sophist?
Post a Comment