Sunday, October 07, 2007

Action Packed Weekend!

Jigs and I had one hellofa weekend, with activities out the wazoo. Despite my head cold, we rocked and rolled through our list.

Here's a brief sampling...

(1) We decided on our Halloween costumes for this year. We'll play a game of "guess what we're going to be" as we assemble our costume items. First pix below.

(1) We scoured our house for much unused items, and bagged them for the Goodwill.

(2) We went to JoAnn Fabrics to purchase a pattern and fabric for my costume. Yes - my costume involves fabric. Any early guesses on what I'm going to be?!?

(3) We went to the Goodwill, dropped of 2 ginormous bags of clothes and a smattering of kitchen excess. We looked for various items for Jiggity's costume, but came up empty handed. Turns out the Goodwill in San Mateo has actual useful and tasteful items. And a hair designed to look like one of the brothers in Dukes of Hazard. The fact that we DID NOT buy that hair - clue number one about our costumes!

(4) We made our next stop - at the local REI. Jigs happens to have a job that rewards him for good performance - with gift cards to various stores. Ah, the corporate world (as you may recall, I'm rewarded at my job with the opportunity to clean poo). This is how we got our vacuum, toaster oven, and Guitar Hero (guess which I had no input on). This weekend, we cashed in his reward cards for CAMPING SUPPLIES! $315 of camping supplies, thank you very much. We're now totally pimped out with a camp stove, Colman gas-powered lantern, camping "coffee table", kitchen supply set (my personal favorite item), cutey-pittutey tea kettle, egg carrier (actually very useful, believe it or not), and a few other items. We are seriously pimped out, and ready for our next adventure (to take place in 2 weekends ... if Sopist and HT are game).

(5) I made some significant progress on sewing my Halloween costume. I'm really really happy with this year's choice.

(6) We went out to dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant - a mere 5 minute walk away - and I had one fantastic veal cutlet. I haven't eaten veal in 10 years or something. And I'm now wondering why.

(7) I got massive indigestion from said meal, but I don't think it has anything to do with the food. I think I'm recovering from being illin. Anyway, it made for a rough sleep last night.

(8) We spent today looking at houses (!!!). At some point, Jigs and I became all adult and started considering buying a house together. Kindof scary (no - very scary). But also kindof fun! And we're starting at a good time in the market, when houses are selling slowly and sellers are cutting prices to get houses our of their hands. Who knew we could ever imagine buying a place in this insane housing market. The bubble had to burst at some point - and I think we're seeing evidence that it's seriously starting to happen. We saw some places we'd be happy to live in - and they were well in our price range. YIPPY!

(9) We went to Trader Joe's, which is not a big event, but always happy-making! (Especially this time. I bought licorice.)

And finally, the first clue about Halloween. My progress so far: (any guesses?)

4 comments:

J-Vo said...

A spicy pork kabob?

towwas said...

Holy cow, dude - houses?? Wow!!

Annie said...

Your weekend sounds AWESOME.

As for your costume, maybe Thing1 and Thing2? I can't figure it out yet... I like this clue thing, though.

AND WOW, glad to hear you are all super-outfitted for camping. HT and I can't wait to join you on Oct 20. Egg carrier is awesome, we saw a bunch of recipes for eggs and were wondering how in heavens name someone got eggs out there. Anyway don't forget your pie irons or egg carriers...

say, is that camp stove a big-ass one or a mini backpacking one? mine is a mini backpacking one...

grrrbear said...

I know I'm late on this, but echoing TOWWAS - "Holy crap, houses?!"