The other day, Sophist, BikeBoy, and I were tossing around the idea that high-tech equiptment (cameras, MP3 players, computers, etc) are probably designed to self-distruct roughly 2 days after expiration of the warrenty. I was doubtful, but totally enjoyed the conversation.
This morning, my doubts vanished. I woke up, prepared my cereal, turned on the tube for 'the View', and - as always - fetched my computer for some morning e-mail-checking and blogging. But what did I find? Well..... The top of the laptop was off-line from the bottom and when I tried to open the top to see the screen, I heard some cracking and scraping. Okay, problematic. But I figured I could at least get online. No. The computer didn't even turn on. Nothing. Nada. Zip. It was fine last night at 11:30pm and I wake up this morning to total blankness. After tinkering a bit with the machine, the right hinge that connects the screen to the base of the computer completely broke off. So now I have a very sad looking and non-working DELL sitting on my desk.
So how am I blogging you ask? As it turns out, I still have my PowerBook G3 purchased in the spring of 2000. It works perfectly and hooks to the internet old-fashioned style: by the phone line. One of the plethera of AOL free 2 month trial CDs finally came in handy. The only bizarre thing? My version of Netscape is so old that everything looks more like HTML than 2005 web style. My blog is so funny looking. All of your blogs are funny looking. It's been an interesting look at how much things have changed in 5 years!
Soon my Dell will be off to the doctor. We'll see if anything can be done. Thank god I've been backing up my hard drive!T
Thursday, March 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have a Gateway (made one hour north of where I grew up!) laptop that my parents bought me in the summer of 1996. It has a 90 Mhz processor and a 700 MB hard drive, but it still works. Technically. Half of the screen has shorted out, but you can just resize your windows.
My new Dell laptop is the best grad school-related purchase I've ever made. I regret not buying one years ago.
You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it John loyn car sales When to take zocor 15 tv screen for car mature ultram Oldsmobile bravada 99 lazerline car alarms Pennbrier fitness club Effexor xr forms Olympic sport histiry
That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »
Post a Comment