Monday, March 21, 2005

I Want to See Comments Galore!

I'm in a wedding in May. The wedding shower is coming up in a few weeks. I want to give a few personal gifts. Included among these gifts, I will make a CD of truly delightful lovey-dovey songs. The bride doesn't read my blog. So, here's today's blogworld task: list all genuine love songs you know. Like - real love songs. I don't want to see REM's 'The One I Love' on the list.

(Spice, I know. We've done this before. But all I can remember is 'Never Before' from the Muppet Movie.)

13 comments:

grrrbear said...

First ones I can think of off the top of my head (in no particular order - with particular emphasis on cheese factor):

"I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore" - Air Supply

"Wicked Game" - Chris Issak

"Moondance" - Van Morrison

"Oh Sherry" - Journey (or just the lead singer - might have been solo by then)

"If I Had a Million $" - Barenaked Ladies

"She Will Be Loved" - Maroon 5

and, for a comedic twist - "F*ck Her Gently" - Tenacious D

I'll post more when I get home and have access to my iPod.

Stacey Pelika said...

Some of these are incredibly schmaltzy, but here are some options...

"I Want It That Way," Backstreet Boys
"God Only Knows," The Beach Boys
"All You Need Is Love," The Beatles (there are many other Beatles options, of course)
"The Longest Time," Billy Joel
"Your Song," Elton John
"Never Tear Us Apart," INXS
"Laid," James
"I Got You (I Feel Good)," James Brown
"All the Right Reasons," The Jayhawks
"Annie's Song," John Denver
"In Your Eyes," Peter Gabriel
"Be My Baby," The Ronettes
"Ice Cream," Sarah McLachlan
"Flowers in the Window," Travis

That's what I've got for now - I will post again if I think of others.

Anonymous said...

Annie's Song by John Denver?!? 20 stars!!!!

Stacey Pelika said...

To J.Bro: Shut. Up.

To J.Po: One more - "'Til There Was You" by The Beatles.

Annie said...

The Magnetic Fields - "The Book of Love."
The Postal Service - "Such Great Heights."

SO LOVELY, BOTH OF THEM.

J.Po said...

Thank you, all (except J.Bro - no help from you). Keep 'em coming, si tu veux.

Anonymous said...

tupelo honey - van morrison
i don't know why - allison kraus

Ted Pavlic said...

Some of these are meant to inspire a chuckle or two... But there are PLENTY that I think are good ideas, and I I'm confident they'll inspire better ideas. Please don't stop mid-list. I tried to order them, but then I just kept going and going... so now they come in no good order... and some of the ones at the end are really kinda good (relatively speaking).

(I also am not responsible for citing a cover here; I know everything there is about music, if I don't cite something as a cover here, it must be that I was just too tired to type... yeah... that's it)

"More Than Words" - Extreme

"(That's) Amore" - Dean Martin

"Everyday I write the book" - Elvis Costello

"Love Sticks" - J. Geils Band

"Wonderful Tonight" - Eric Clapton

"Only You" - Louis Armstrong (and/or any cover you want)

"When I Fall in Love" - Nat King Cole
"When I Fall in Love" - Celine Dion (eek!)

"When I See you Smile" - Youth Asylum

"Someone Like You" - Van Morrison

"You Spin Me 'Round (Like a Record)" - Dead or Alive

"You Make My Dreams" - Hall and Oates

"Space Age Love Song" - A Flock of Seagulls

"All Out of Love" - Air Supply (sh!t, it's in my head now! For some reason Will Farrel is singing it...)

"You Made Me Love You" - Jimmy Durante

"Endless Love" - Lionel Richie (and that girl who sings it with him)

"Is This Love" - Whitesnake

"The Longest Time" - Billy Joel
"To Make you Feel My Love" - Billy Joel
"Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel cover of Barry White (see below)
"She's Got a Way" - Billy Joel
"She's Always a Woman" - Billy Joel
"Scenes from an Italian Restaurant ('Bottle of Red' song)" - Billy Joel
"Shameless" - Billy Joel
"You May Be Right (I May be Crazy)" - Billy Joel
"Tell Her About It" - Billy Joel
"Leave a Tender Moment Alone" - Billy Joel
"You're My Home" - Billy Joel (not so popular, and not so great...)
"This is the Time" - Billy Joel (eh?)
"And So It Goes" - Billy Joel (just pretty, but a LOVE song? maybe for a cynic?)

"Jack and Diane" - John Couger Mellencamp

"Makin' Whoopee" - Dr. John

"Can't Help Falling in Love" - Elvis
"The Way You Do the Things You Do" - Temptations
"Here I Am (Come and Take Me)" - Al Green
"I Got You Babe" - Sonny and Cher
"Light My Fire" - The Doors
The UB40 Covers of Each of those 5 above songs

"Bring Me Your Cup" - UB40

"You're My First, My Last, My Everything" - Barry White
"Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" - Barry White
"I've got So Much Love to Give" - Barry White
"I'm Qualified to Satisfy You" - Barry White
"I'm Going to Love You Just a Little More, Baby" - Barry White
"Oh, What a Night for Dancing" - Barry White
"Your Sweetness is my Weakness" - Barry White
"Just the Way you Are" - Barry White
(I'm sure there are LOTS of other good examples)

"Let's Get Married" - Al Green
"Call Me (Come Back Home)" - Al Green
"I'm Still in Love with You" - Al Green
"Love and Happiness" - Al Green
"L-O-V-E" - Al Green
"Sha-la-la (Make me happy)" - Al Green
(I'm sure there are LOTS of other good examples)


Suddenly my mind's blank... There were others, there were... Shoot. Oh well...

Ted Pavlic said...

"In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel
(other Peter Gabriel? there's got to be...)

"Have I Told You Lately" - Rod Stewart (and others)

"Love Me Do" - Beatles

"I Can't Stop Loving You" - Ray Charles

"How Sweet It Is (to be loved by you)" - James Taylor
"Steamroller" - James Taylor
"Something in the Way She Moves" - James Taylor
"Don't Let Me be Lonely Tonight" - James Taylor

"All for Love" - Bryan Adams

"A Groovy Kind of Love" - Phil Collins

"Burning Love" - Elvis

"Crazy" - Patsy Cline

"Accidentally in Love" - Counting Crows

"Hooked on a Feeling" - Neil Diamond (try Blue Swede or B.J. Thomas for "ooga shucka" versions)

"Wonderful Tonight" - Eric Clapton

"Unchained Melody" - The Righteous Brothers
"You've Lost that Loving Feeling" - The Righteous Brothers (love song?)

"Achy Breaky Heart" - Billy Ray Cyrus

"Finding Out True Love is Blind" - Louis XIV (love song? it's going around in my head...)

"Take My Breath Away" - Berlin

"Nothing Compares to You" - Sinead O'Connor

"You're the Inspiration" - Chicago

"You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)" - Meat Loaf
"Paradise by the Dashboard Light" - Meat Loaf (love song? should be?)
"I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)" - Meat Loaf
(other Meat Loaf? there's got to be...)

"A Love Song" - Jimmy Buffett (i.e., "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw")

"Have I Told You Lately" - Van Morrison
"Warm Love" - Van Morrison
"Brown Eyed Girl" - Van Morrison (love song?)
"Sweet Thing" - Van Morrison

"Heaven in your Eyes" - Loverboy
"Mighty Wings" - Cheap Trick (love song?)

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" - Bonnie Tyler (love song?)

"Born to Make You Happy" - Britney Spears

"Dreamlover" - Mariah Carey

"I Can Love You Like That" - All-4-One
"I Swear" - All-4-One

"Because You Loved Me" - Celine Dion (cover? it's gotta be...)
(nearly every song Celine Dion has ever sung)

romantic-lyrics.com's Wedding Songs

(A long list of love songs found at links2love.com)

Ted Pavlic said...

"Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye
"Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye

(these are meant to *inspire* thoughts about Marvin Gaye, as I'm sure he has a few good love songs... I realize that these two in particular aren't really "love" songs...)

Ted Pavlic said...

Last one, I promise...

"Lump" - Presidents of the United States of America ("Podusa"?)

I don't know if it's a love song, but I don't think anyone else does either. :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
» »

Anonymous said...

What a great site How people in los angeles buy oxycontin R v awnings los angeles Driveway stone type Sports facts in 1993 mersedes+benz Answering services quincy illinois