Friday, August 03, 2007

Anniversary, concert style!

It's the 18th anniversary of my first self-chosen* "rock'n'roll" (I use that term loosely) concert. On the evening of August 3rd, 1989, I went to the Medina County Fair to see New Kids on the Block "rock" the house. The date of August 3rd was burned in my mind the entire summer of 1989, as I impatiently awaited the performance of Danny, Donnie, Joey, Jon, and - my personal favorite - Jordan. I ate, slept, and breathed NKOTB that summer - and during most of the year that followed.

The opening act for the concert was none other than Tiffany. In anticipation of my readers' questions - yes, she sang "I Think We're Alone Now". Tiffany started the tour as the main act, but was eventually demoted to be the opening act as NKOTB's fame grew with crowds of hysterical adolescents chanting their names. I felt sortof bad for Tiffany at the time, but she did alright for herself in the end - what with her starring role on Celebrity Fit Club and all.

There was a time, after I grew out of love with NKOTB, that carried some shame for my musical interests circa 1989. But at this point I realize I was a pretty typical teenager, and I'm glad I had that experience. Now I have a deep understanding for the the hoards of crazed teens to follow - with excitement for such bands as N'Sync and Backstreet Boys. And anyway, I feel like I've redeemed myself in terms of musical taste, with playlists that include tunes from Sufjan Stevens, Patty Griffin, Bright Eyes, Joni Mitchell, Radiohead, Bob Dylan, REM, The Postal Service, and so on. So there.

And with that, I can't wait to hear about your first self-chosen "rock'n'roll" concert. So?

* My first non-self-chosen concert (i.e. - first concert ever) was Peter, Paul, and Mary. I was 3, maybe?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me it was Def Leppard. Though it might be inaccurate to say it was "self-chosen". So few popular bands ever came to Alaska that, as a teenager, you HAD to go when someone came to play, no matter who it was. Not to imply I wouldn't have chosen to go to Def Leppard. They rock.

towwas said...

Mine was a few years after that, and it was They Might Be Giants in a gym at Catholic University. They *rocked* and I have seen them many times since.

Stacey Pelika said...

I think most of you already know this, but embarrassingly, it was Bruce Willis, I think. I still have his tape, too - just unearthed it as part of prepping for the move.

But it might have been Weird Al and The Monkees at the Minnesota State Fair, which is a somewhat cooler show to claim.