Sunday, August 05, 2007

Wha?!? J.Po completed a project?!?

TRUE!!! I finished a major project, which took much less time than I anticipated. MY FIRST SWEATER. Let's hear it for me. WOO!

I'm seldom intimidated by the crafty challenges in this world, but knitting sweaters is one exception. I finally faced my fear and saw this project to completion.

The sweater is from the Cowl Neck Sweater pattern (Stitch'n'Bitch vol. 1 (thanks, Spice!)) and I used non-dyed organic cotton yarn. My only adjustments to the pattern were to add 2 inches in length to both the torso and arms (the beauty of making your own crap - tall girls get the length they need!).

Lessons from this experience: (1) checking gauge is actually useful and wise; (2) knitting with cotton is so fun cause I don't get eczema outbreaks; (3) Jiggity likes my new duds cause he can nuzzle up as though he's resting on a very soft blanket; (4) knitting sweaters isn't that hard, especially given a simple pattern using wide yarn and large needles.

Sorry for poor lighting on the pics. Jiggity couldn't stand to separate himself from the snow monsters attacking him on WOW. If you don't know what WOW stands for, your nerd score is <5 (congratulations).


9 comments:

Shannon said...

LOVE IT!!!! Fantastic job!! and your first sweater - very impressive. From what I could see, your seaming looks great, and the sweater fits beautifully! I am super impressed. Bravo J.Po!

I am inspired to locate my half-finished sweater (my first sweater as well) from my knitting black hole and finish it...though I am not sure I could get such a beautiful FO. : )

J.Po said...

Thanks, Sweet Cheeks!

I was actually blown away by how "hip" and fitted the sweater was after completion. It's pretty flattering. And the cowl neck gives it an edge that - I think - makes it look non-home-made (in a good way).

You should totally finish your half-finished sweater. If you do that, I'll dig out all of my unfinished sewing projects.

towwas said...

Omg! So cute! You're my hero! I wonder if I have a how-to-knit book around here somewhere....

Al said...

That is beautiful, good work! I am definitely adding knitting to my list of hobbies to take up now.

Annie said...

that thing is absolutely gorgeous Po. i have not been the most interested in learning to knit myself but that sweater definitely makes me want to give it a try, if there is a chance that in a few years I will attain that level of fashion awesomeness.

Stacey Pelika said...

Wow - that's lovely! I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said!

Anonymous said...

I'd also like to add that the yetis attacking me during the photo-shoot are also very admiring of the the sweater's softness, stylishness and craftmanship and thus were willing to call a momentary truce while I took the snaps. However, they express their regrets that their desire to turn me into a meat-sicle with their frost-breath and bite me in half like an otter-pop prohibited them from allowing me the time to move to an area with more flattering lighting.

J-Vo said...

Things that are amazing:
1) the sweater

and

2) the comment preceding mine by Jiggity. Quite possibly the most literary blog comment ever. I nominate it for a Pulitzer.

Annie said...

Jig's comment is literary, until you realize that it is all in reference to World of Warcraft...

hey Jigs, when are you going to start a blog???? Even if you just blogged comments on other peoples blogs it would be awesome!