Monday, January 17, 2005

Always Second Place

It's about time for the film community to recognize the fine talents of Mr. Johnny Depp. I was disapppointed today when I opened my Yahoo page to discover that he was, once again, passed up for a best actor award. Okay, so I haven't actually seen Finding Neverland. But given his fine performances in the past (What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Benny and Joon, Pirates of the Carribean, Chocolat, Dead Man, Ed Woon, Edward Scissorhands, etc.), I'm astounded that he goes unnoticed. I should confess that I have an undying attraction to J. Depp and that I may be slightly biased in my opinions, but DAMN...he was so fantastic in Pirates of the Carribean. He carried that film. And I never ONCE thought to myself, 'That's Johnny Depp playing some pirate guy.' Oh no, I thought, 'That captain Jack Sparrow is a mighty fine pirate. Yar!.' Yes, JD has a history of hit-or-miss films. But the hits are FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!

My bet: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be GREAT - and he'll go unrecognized again.

Sheesh.

3 comments:

Stacey Pelika said...

Johnny Depp is so f'in hot that I can't stand it. And everyone I know agrees except for housemate Jaymie, who has a very bizarre taste in men.

However, I think I would find Senor Depp too intimidatingly artsy in person. Thus, my even stronger love of one Colin Firth. Mmmm...Mr. Darcy....

Stacey Pelika said...

Oh, and I agree that he's totally underappreciated by awards shows. I originally intended to comment on that, but then got swept up in thinking about his hotness.

I wonder if he's unappreciated because he started in TV, a la Bill Murray and Jim Carrey (who are also underappreciated but not nearly as hot).

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »