Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Shmi-tunes

I don't care what anybody says. iTunes ROCKS MY WORLD. It has allowed me to purchase some rare REM tracks (Permanent Vacation), a little known live recording of Ellis Paul and Patty Griffin singing Conversation With a Ghost, and (for reasons unknown to me) various covers and live performances by Pearl Jam (including a great cuts of 'Throw Your Arms Around Me' and 'Man of the Hour').

iTunes has also led me along a winding search toward what is becoming my newest band interest: Pedro the Lion. Give 'em a listen.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh - Pedro the Lion AND Pearl Jam? If you're looking for more tracks to itune, I'd recommend Bands with Managers and I Do by the former and Soldier of Love by the latter. Spice, my wife and I are seeing Keane and the Zutons in Milwaukee next month, and 2/3 of us will be seeing Modest Mouse the weekend after that.

I very much regret not being exposed to good music earlier in my life. I'm playing catch-up, instead of having a solid foundation of Pavement, Smiths, Velvet Underground, Misfits, etc. There's so much to learn and so much to like - it's overwhelming sometimes.

J.Po said...

J. Bro...you've noticed me again! It's always the music that draws you in. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into it. Know anything about Hem? I happened onto them during the last search.

J.Po said...

In my youth, I was exposed to a lot of Peter, Paul, and Mary and Simon and Garfunkel. It established the roots for my love of folkish rocky alternative stuff.

grrrbear said...

I'm a total iTunes whore. Bought myself an iPod for xmas and have been loading it up with music ever since. Always grab the free tune of the week, unless it's country.

My fave bands I've found through iTunes: The Shins, Longwave, Frou Frou, Thievery Corporation, Modest Mouse, and being reintroduced to old David Bowie. There are others I'm sure, but I can't recall all of them at the moment.

J.Po said...

Grrbear, have you been listening to the Garden State Soundtrack?

Stacey Pelika said...

That was my first thought as well.

grrrbear said...

Yep. I iTuned it a few weeks ago and it's currently playing *heavy* rotation on the CD changer in the car. Although I had to get the other version of "Such Great Heights" as I find the one by Iron and Wine on the actual soundtrack is kind of flaccid.

J.Po said...

I had the opposite experience with Great Hights. But I bought the latest Postal Service CD anyway. Let me know if you want a burn, grrbear.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Americas mattress subaru outback slush mats fibromyalgia topamax Hotel triton san francisco Legacy barcode scanner Truck nitro tires vw golf styling Water bed patch scrabble en espaol juego online buick open golf tournament swimsuit supermodels insurance quotes cheap auto What are some effects on taking vitamins free black jack game http://www.vegas-style-baccarat.info mcse