Today was take-care-of-my-health-day in San Franciso. One doctor's appointment, 4 hour wait, second doctor's appointment. History has taught me to consolidate; use fewer sick days. History has also taught me that medical care at UCSF is as good as it gets in the Bay Area. It's top notch. You have a cyst? They will look. You have thyroid problems? They will draw blood. You come in for a new patient appointment? You fill out a book's worth of questions. (The fact that they even ASK about medical history is a step up from my last PCP.)
Although I could go on and on about my appointments, the real story is this: Today I had to return to the Old Hood (circa late-1990's). I warn you, only 2 of my 3-4 readers will find this meaningful. I suggest that the other 1-2 stick it out anyway. There's a lesson in this tale.
_____________________________________________________________
With 4 solid working hours between doc #1 and doc #2, I decided to take the N Judah to the Canvas Cafe (my favorite work-doing haunt). On my walk down 9th Ave, I noticed that things have been in flux since days of yore. There's evidence of a troubled ecomomy - stores and restaurants with new names and clean paint. Chain (Walgreens) and chain-esque (Crossroads Trading Company) stores have taken the place of small retailers. So much for the Inner Sunset's never-ending support for the independent entrepreneur.
The economy is showing on the walls of the apartments too, making me think that the rent market is finally in the hands of the renters. Buildings are no longer dirty and run-down. They've been freshened up for people (and their money) to move in.
Walking through this place I knew but don't really know anymore, I found myself extremely nostolgic for the old days - especially when I walked by 'House' only to find that it isn't 'House' anymore. The building bears a sign indicating that 'Kidi Terryaki and Sushi' lives there now. My only solace came in seeing that the jaunty, off-kilter window remains.
And walking further, I found that 'StampFrancisco' has finally caved. How many stamp fanatics live in the Inner Sunset anyway? Too few, I guess. Now it's a gym.
I could go on and on with the changes, but I think I'd start crying.
Instead, here's the uplifting part of the story: the most important places to me, the ones that draw me back to the old stomping ground, are still there (with the same old signs and fading paint jobs). Le Video remains a film buff's jem shoved into a tiny venue. Tutti Fruity and Wishbone are still selling their kitchy and fashionable dust-gatherers. Crepevine and Aveneda? Still there. And, most importanty, Minh Tri is still serving a the world's best #38.
The lesson here? It's not always true that the only certainty in life is change. Some things in life are so good that they don't need to change.
Post Scripts:
1. Two nights ago I had a dream that I was stuck in San Francisco at night because I missed the last train to the EB. I happened to have my old apartment key on me, so I decided to go to the old place and quietly let myself in. I did this successfully and then found a nice spot on the living room carpet. No one knew I was there until I shifted while trying to fall asleep. Then one of the NEW inhabitants came out and I tried to explain myself. I was in fear. And she was rather confused about why I was there. What I noticed about the place was that they had much nicer furnature and belongings that WE had when WE were there. These med school brats were living in OUR apartment where WE greated the new millenium, where WE had conversations in the kitchen long into the night, where WE first listened to Reveal, where I watched the horrifying scene of the twin towers tumbling to the ground. WHY WERE THEY IN MY SPACE?
2. A few weeks ago, I dreamt that my mother was looking for tupperware in my old apartment on 7th. While looking through the cabinets, a person walked into the kitchen and it wasn't S or L. It was one of those med students. She was slightly weary and pissed. And I was wondering why she was there.
3. I think I'm having issues with invasion of space. That will happen when you've been mugged and robbed, all in 3 months.
4. After leaving doc appointment #2, I walked to 'Crepes on Cole' to grab some lunch and do some work. I will have you know, 'Crepes on Cole' is in NO WAY associated with the 'Crepevine.' NEVER EVER assume they're related!!!!
Tuesday, January 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's always strange to me when I realize that my friends who are still in the Bay Area are not in the same Bay Area that I left. Clearly, neither you nor Paco have any reason to be hanging around ye ol' hood, but somehow I still imagine y'all grabbing a tostada from L'Avenida on the way home from the Muni stop. Or going to Pluto's. Or getting photo stickers at Wishbone. Ah, those were the days! I am particularly sad that House is gone - they had fantastic pomegranate pork chops, and were the source of one of my favorite Flaumy moments.
I really miss the Crepevine. I wish someone would open a place like that here. I think it would do well.
And yes, UCSF health care is top notch. I miss feeling like I have the right to see a specialist instead of trying to convince my PCP that it's necessary.
I wish I remembered my dreams more often.
Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »
Post a Comment