Tuesday, January 25, 2005

What is the world coming to??

Last night while surfing for some good TV, I was unable to find good TV. Instead, I happened upon the Dr. Phil show (not difficult when you live in an area that has a station DEVOTED to news and Dr. Phil). To my horror, Bill Cosby was the main guest and HE was doing a Dr. Phil number on some troubled youth (with some hyper-editing obviously involved). The episode was called 'the Dr. Phil and Dr. Bill Show.'

Presumably, Dr. Bill is trying to improve his image after some recent comments that angered segments of the black community. But dude, he chose the DR. PHIL show!! Not exactly the kind of audience that can understand his somewhat complicated and racially difficult ideas.

I have great respect for Dr. Bill Cosby. But I sure hope he stops dropping in on Dr. Phil. 'Guy originally from the projects meets guy from Texan wealth' doesn't exactly sit well with me. I would be delighted to hear what Dr. Cosby has to say, but I'd much rather hear it at one of his townhall meetings or on the Oprah Show or on NPR.

I'm not so sure where the 'Dr.' in 'Dr. Phil' comes from. But, given the little I know about psychology and therapy, his way of trying to fix people by telling them 'like it is' just ain't right. Cosby, on the other hand, tends to council bodies of the populus on what he sees as concerns for the future of America's children and black communities. Now that is worthy of discussion, coming from someone who hase seen the spectrum.