This is not my first run-in with Mr. Burns. I had a non-fantasized interaction with him at a visitor's center in Denali National Park on a snowy day in August of 2003. That time it went something like this:
[Traveling team gets off of bus and walks toward visitor's center to see Mt. McKinley. It's snowing and traveling team walks quickly to reach warmth.]
Traveling friend #1: 'I think I just saw Ken Burns walk by.'
J.Po: 'NO WAY!!'
[J.Po makes 180 degree turn to chase down KB. Remaining members of traveling team follow with hesitation. J.Po finds van of film crew and points in amazement at KB. Film crew manager gets out of van.]
Manager of K.Burns film team (sporting a fine fleece jacket with the Jazz documentary emblem): 'Would you like a photo with Ken Burns?'
Traveling team: 'YES!!!'
[Ken Burns emerges from van.]
Mr. Burns: [After noticing sweatshirts of traveling team] 'Did you all go to Carleton College?'
Team: 'Yes!'
Traveling friend #2: 'You know of Carleton?'
Mr. Burns: 'Yes. [with PBS/NPR-style wit] I've been everywhere.'
Traveling friend #3: 'What are you doing in Denali?'
Mr. Burns: 'We're working on a documentary about the national parks. Unfortunately, Mt. McKinley is blocked by snow and clouds today.'
[J.Po tries to conjure up a comment that would adequately express her love of K. Burns' work. Gets nervous and fails to pull it together.]
[K. Burns lines us up for a photo and puts arm around Traveling friend #2 and #3. Traveler #2 inches closer to KB. Several photos taken.]
[ Photo session complete.]
Traveling team: 'Thank you so much!' 'It was wonderful to meet you!' 'Love your work!' 'Can't wait for the next documentary series!' etc etc etc
[Mr. Burns and Manager return to van. Traveling team waves the van goodbye and turns back toward visitor center in shock, awe, and amazement.]
_________________________________________
Turns out Traveling Friend #1 had another real Burns sighting recently. He reported to traveling team:
[My wife] and I were in New York last weekend, crossed
the street,got to the other side and thought, hey,
that guy with the Yale sweatshirt on looks familiar.
Yep, it was Ken Burns. Tempted as I was, I did not
chase him down to ask if he remembered me.My response:
WOW WOW WOW!! It is quite a shame that I was not
there with you so that I could stomp across the
street and point at him like a nervous school girl.
That's my recollection from last time, anyway.
I am stunned by your good luck.
J
___________________________________________________________
I was more excited about meeting Ken Burns than I would've been meeting Brad Pitt. Is this a sign that I am a geek at heart? I hope so.
3 comments:
I haven't watched enough Ken Burns documentaries. Which is your favorite series? What do you recommend for starters?
Okay. This is quite a question, Sophist. I would recommend starting with the 'Civil War' series. It is LOOOONNNNGGGG....but packed with great pictures and stories and is the best way I can think of to learn the complete history of the Civil War. Since you dig music, I also recommend 'Jazz'. I haven't seen it, but people who have seen it had nothing but good things to report. You may also enjoy 'Baseball.' He's done many small docs as well. Most recently, KB completed a short documentary entitled 'Unforgivable Blackness: the Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson' ... a riveting story of the first Afr.Am. heavyweight champion, which includes many meta-themes about race in America during the early-mid 1900's. It's been showing on PBS this month. You may be able to catch it there.
Enjoyed a lot! Magnetrip circuit breaker type o list trips dryers Melitopol travel Pants worn in 1950's
Post a Comment