You'd think that after a 3-Ben party, it would take a some time before assembling more than one Ben at a sitting. Not so.
Last night I met up with Ben#2 to hear about his recent trip to Kenya - which was really an excuse to catch up with Ben#2. We do this roughly once a year and always end up saying we should do it more.
We decided on Sparky's because he wanted breakfast food. I really wanted Indian, but caved after imagining a plate of fried things.
20 minutes into our meal and intensely emotional conversation, I look to the other side of the restaurant and see the back of a head - in the exact shade of purple I often see on Ben#3. Could it be him? This purple head was remarkably still, not typical for B-3. But eventually, he gesticulated enough hints. His gestures and postures are unmistakable. It was him.
Ben#2 and I promplty order a chocolate malt to be delivered to the booth with the purple-haired male and brown-haired and glasses-wearing female.
Malt is delivered and nothing happens.
15 minutes pass.
Waiter comes to OUR table with 2 Classic Cokes with Black Cherry Syrup - from the 'booth over there'.
We are conversing through beverages. And we're loving it.
I break down. Pick up Classic Coke and saunter over to the other side.
We see each other. Giggle. Hug. Chat ('wha happa?'). Take photos. Decide on drinks.
The best parts of this story have gone untold - until now:
1. Ben#3 and Leah saw us immediately upon entering the restaurant. They stared our way for 5 minutes but we did not respond. So they played the game of how-long-will-it-take.
2. None of us were supposed to be at Sparky's that day. Ben#2 and I had slated a meeting at Zeitgiest and Ben#3 and Leah were going to order take-out. All of our plans changed - and then collided.
3. I cancelled on Ben#3 and Leah because I was seeing Ben#2. They didn't know why I cancelled ... until they discovered me.
Thursday, August 12, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Did Ben #2 get a skillet? Please tell me he got a skillet!!!
You would think so, wouldn't you? However, Sparky's does not SELL a skillet. He got the closest thing: scrambled egges, hash browns, and toast. But I think he mashed it all together like a skillet.
Post a Comment