Monday, May 14, 2007

All the Fun's In Getting There

Jiggity and I went camping Saturday night with a group of public healthers in a campground located around the red oval on the map. Neither of us looked at a road map before leaving (we just memorized really bad instructions from the park's website) and we ended up driving to Tracy (one third of the way to Yosemite!) before realizing that we must have done something wrong. After turning around, we ended up passing by the red oval and circling around a small area of Oakland (outlined by a box on the map) trying to find an exit that doesn't exist for 45 minutes. When all was said and done, and we finally made it to camp, we spent a total of 3.5 hours getting to a place that should have taken 40 minutes. We're buying a road atlas. Soon.

9 comments:

J.Po said...

One major plus - we saw the overpass that melted. Not nearly as bad as we thought it would be!

Stacey Pelika said...

Upside: at least you got to see that cool windmill farm when you drive through the hills near Livermore, right?

J.Po said...

Yes - the windmill farm was very very cool. In fact, I said something to the effect of "at least we got to see the windmills..." when making our return trip. I'm not sure Jiggity, who was driving, felt the love.

Annie said...

yeah, I use google maps and i love it but boy if one ever goes off the route by accident, Google maps is far from sufficient. I have a load of maps from AAA, but even those are lame compared to a real road atlas.

Anonymous said...

Heh. The title of this blog post could easily have been the same of the previous one. (LOST?!? OMG!)

towwas said...

Wow. Yeah, I think a road atlas might be a good investment. (But I love the wind farm, too.)

Anonymous said...

On jiggity's point, I clicked momentarily on the comments to the post below, thinking maybe it was an on-the-road early version of this post. I'm waiting for Lost to come out on DVD so I can watch the whole season in one weekend, so warning sirens went off in my head and I clicked Back as fast as I could!

J-Vo said...

Spice and I got hosed over big-time by Mapquest several years ago while attempting to stalk Peter Tork. Lucky for us, good prevailed over evil and we were still able to view PT's collection of antique farm equipment and porcine sculptures.

Stacey Pelika said...

Stalking Peter Tork! Woo!