When it comes to toasting bread, bagels, and other food products (yes, Jiggity, creepy waffles are included), I strongly prefer a toaster oven to a pop-up toaster. Only with a toaster oven can you make a tuna melt or a warm/melted ham & cheese. And beyond toasting, the oven provides so many additional options, including warming, baking and - my personal favorite - broiling. When I was a kid, I was jealous of families with pop-up toasters (especially the ones that required close observation in order to catch the bread as it flew through the air post-toasting). But now, I'm all about the wonders of the toaster oven.

Jiggity and I got our first joint Toast-R-Oven last weekend. We used it for the first time last night, preparing potato wedges (Trader Joe's style) sprinkled with salt (which we ate while watching Lost, by the way). We couldn't have made THAT with a pop-up toaster!
We'll see how long this toaster lasts.
3 comments:
A toaster oven was my only oven in Japan, and I discovered many uses for it. Garlic bread, particularly.
my parents live in Taiwan in an efficiency apt with just a sink for a kitchen. My mom bought a toaster oven, a single burner, a rice cooker, and a microwave oven, and regularly churns out astonishing gourmet meals on an Ikea 1 ft x 4 ft mini-countertop.
Oh yeah, re: that particular black&decker style toaster oven... my parents have that exact style in their house in Minnesota. It has been serving them trustily since at least 1985. So good choice!
I finally replaced my $10 toaster I bought after graduating from OAM last week with a combination toaster-oven/pop-up toaster. It's bitchin! Pop the lever over to one side, it's a pop-up; flip the lever and it's a toaster-oven.
I used it to make some veggie chicken strips the day I brought it home, then Pop-tarts for breakfast the next day.
Awesomeness...
Post a Comment